CALGARY, AB, Feb. 10, 2023 /CNW/ – Now, the Honourable Randy Boissonnault, Minister of Tourism and Affiliate Minister of Finance and Member of Parliament for Edmonton Centre George Chahal, Member of Parliament for Calgary Skyview and Gian-Carlo Carrà, Deputy Mayor and Ward 9 Councillor for the Town of Calgary, declared $4.9 million in joint funding for active transportation infrastructure improvements along 2.15 kilometer segments of the 14 Avenue S and 15 Avenue S corridors in Calgary’s Beltline.
The undertaking will focus on upgrading the current painted bike lanes to establish guarded cycle tracks along 15 Avenue S in between 12 Avenue SW and 1 Avenue SE. In addition, pedestrian infrastructure upgrades together with curb extensions, marked crossings, lighting, and widened sidewalks, will be carried out along equally corridors to improve accessibility for people of all ages and skills.
These improvements will aid entry to firms in the location and to the recently upgraded commercial district alongside the adjacent 17 Avenue S corridor.
Offering focused spaces to wander, wheel, cycle, and scooter increase consumer basic safety. Adding route decisions for energetic transportation will support group health and wellness though delivering a far more reputable cycling network for Calgarians and visitors.
Funding introduced these days supports Canada’s Countrywide Energetic Transportation Tactic by investing in functions that will help expand networks of pathways, bike lanes, trails and pedestrian bridges.
By investing in infrastructure, the Government of Canada is rising our country’s economic system, expanding the resiliency of our communities, and enhancing the life of Canadians.
“Multi-use paths, broader sidewalks, and other energetic transportation infrastructure retain our neighbourhoods safer, a lot more inclusive, and accessible. Today’s expense alongside Calgary’s 14 & 15 avenue south corridors will improve the city’s biking and pedestrian community, much better connecting the metropolis, and providing Calgarians with additional options for transportation. We will work with all orders of govt to ensure that our communities have accessibility to wholesome and lively transportation choices.”
The Honourable Randy Boissonnault, Minister of Tourism and Affiliate Minister of Finance and Member of Parliament for Edmonton Centre, on behalf of the Honourable Dominic LeBlanc, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Infrastructure and Communities
“Calgarians ought to have to arrive at their destinations with ease and security, no matter whether they prefer to bicycle, operate, or roll. With a extensive network of lively transportation choices, around 1.3 million citizens do the job and engage in in all corners of the town. This venture aims to elevate transit connectivity whilst encouraging a greener, additional energetic life-style for all Calgarians.”
George Chahal, Member of Parliament for Calgary Skyview
“It was welcome news to locate out that The City of Calgary was thriving in its application for the National Energetic Transportation Fund. This funding will assistance mobility upgrades to 14th and 15th Avenues in the heart of the Beltline and Victoria Park neighbourhoods. These partnerships with the Government of Canada are just some of the really tangible techniques we can increase the wellness, security, and top quality of life of Calgarians.”
Courtney Walcott, Councillor for Ward 8 for the Town of Calgary
- The Govt of Canada is investing $2,940,000 in this challenge by the Lively Transportation Fund. The Town of Calgary is investing $1,960,000 toward this task.
- The Energetic Transportation Fund will offer $400 million about five decades to make journey by lively transportation simpler, safer, much more practical and much more satisfying, in help of Canada’s to start with National Energetic Transportation Technique.
- Municipal governments, area and regional governments this kind of as services districts, and Indigenous corporations are qualified recipients for the Active Transportation Fund. Provinces, territories, and not-for-gain corporations are also suitable in certain instances.
- The Lively Transportation Fund’s first standard software ingestion closed on March 31, 2022. Programs for organizing and cash projects from suitable Indigenous recipients keep on to be acknowledged on an ongoing foundation.
- Canada’s National Lively Transportation Technique is the country’s to start with coastline-to-coastline-to-coastline strategic method for advertising and marketing lively transportation and its rewards. The strategy’s intention is to make info-pushed and proof-based investments to establish new and expanded active transportation networks and to produce safe and sound environments for additional equitable, healthier, active and sustainable travel options to prosper.
- Active transportation infrastructure provides quite a few tangible benefits, developing very good center-course work opportunities, increasing the economic climate, endorsing much healthier existence, advancing fairness among susceptible Canadians, reducing air and sound pollution, and reducing greenhouse gasoline emissions. Investing in safer active transportation infrastructure is critical to making certain individuals of all ages and abilities can entry positions and services and connect with their communities.
- Federal funding is conditional the signing of the funding arrangement.
Lively Transportation Fund:
Countrywide Active Transportation Approach:
Source Infrastructure Canada
For more details: For more information and facts (media only), make sure you get in touch with: Jean-Sébastien Comeau, Push Secretary and Senior Communications Advisor, Office of the Honourable Dominic LeBlanc, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Infrastructure and Communities, 343-574-8116, [email protected] Media Relations, Infrastructure Canada, 613-960-9251, Toll free of charge: 1-877-250-7154, [email protected] City of Calgary Media Relations, 403-828-2954, [email protected]